Question:

From Three Oaks, MI, USA:

Have there ever been any studies done where the sex of a baby increases the risk of the mother developing gestational diabetes? I developed gestational diabetes with my first pregnancy (a boy) at 28 weeks and was on insulin. Since then, everyone I've talked to that has had gestational diabetes has had a boy. One person had borderline gestational diabetes with her first 2 boys and with her third child, a girl, she had severe hypoglycemia. Another woman went to a support class for pregnant women with gestational diabetes and all 15 women had boys.

I am currently 13 weeks pregnant with baby #2. I have not developed gestational diabetes yet, and I am being monitored very closely. So far, so good. I know I am at very high risk for getting it, especially since I was on insulin. Is there any truth to my theory, or are all of my findings just circumstance?

Answer:

Even though there seems to be a trend in your experience, I am not aware of any relationship between the sex of a fetus and development of gestational diabetes.

Posted to Gestational Diabetes