From Columbia, South Carolina, USA:

I take Glucophage [metformin] at bedtime and do not eat for two to three hours beforehand. I check my blood sugar before I take my medicine, again immediately after waking in the morning, and find that my blood sugar has risen 30-40 mg/dl [1.7-2.2 mmol/L]. Is it normal for blood sugar to rise while sleeping?

Yes, it is characteristic of diabetes. As part of the diabetes, the liver puts out glucose. This is the cause for fasting high blood sugars. Adequate treatment for the diabetes requires addressing the elevated sugars with medications if they are above target range.

Additional comments from Jane Seley, diabetes nurse specialist:

It is a common defect in type 2 diabetes to wake up with a high sugar because of the inappropriate conversion of stored sugar to sugar in the blood, especially early in the morning. Glucophage works very well for this defect. Speak to your doctor about whether you should be increasing your dose.

Posted to Daily Care and Type 2