Question:

From New York, USA:

I am a 40 year old with diabetes or more than 10 years, and the other night at dinner and I went hypoglycemic pretty badly, but my wife did help me. What if I am somewhere alone with the baby? My fear is that the baby will not have any information, and I will walk away or not know where I am. Should I have some information on the baby or should I wear something on me as to what to do? Any suggestions?

Answer:

These frequent lows are a red flag that something needs to be done to change your regimen so as to prevent them. Please check with your physician about this. As far as identification, I would strongly recommend you wear a medical alert bracelet or necklace and have appropriate information in your wallet. These ID kits are available through a variety of pharmacies, hospitals, clinics, or web-based medical supply services. I would also recommend you have an ID for your child. You can contact your child development center nearest your home for suggestions.

[Editor's comment: See Medical Identification. Many health care professionals recommend using MedicAlertŪ. WWQ]