From San Diego, California, USA:

My five year old daughter (4 feet 2 inches, 70 pounds) appears to be overweight, so I am putting her on the diabetic diet. How many calories should she have? I would like her to eat this way because it is healthier than what she has done.

I applaud your effort in keeping your child at a healthy weight status, but I would recommend that you schedule an appointment with a registered dietitian who specializes in pediatrics or diabetes to help you formulate a meal plan that will allow your child to lose weight slowly and gradually. Every meal plan is individualized based on your child's food preferences, eating schedule, activity schedule, etc. Ask your physician for a referral to a registered dietitian if needed.