Question:

From Amelia, Virginia, USA:

Since diabetes runs in my family, I started testing my blood sugar about a week ago, and before breakfast it was around 126 mg/dl [7 mmol/L] and two hours after a meal it was about 146 mg/dl [8.1 mmol/L]. I talked with a friend who has diabetes and was told to try to change what I eat and see what it does. Since then, it has gone down to 90 mg/dl [5 mmol/L] before breakfast and about 100 mg/dl [5.6 mmol/L] two hours after a meal. Should I still go to the doctor to see if it is diabetes? Could it be managed with diet alone?

Answer:

I would encourage you to speak with your doctor about your concern. Your doctor may be able to help you determine your risk for diabetes and strategies that may decrease your risk.

SG