From Rockford, Iowa, USA:

What's a good way to get my son to try to use his stomach for shots?

Stomachs can be a scary place to try for the first time. I would encourage him to try it, maybe introduce him to another child who uses that site also. In the meantime, use the other injection sites, making sure that you use all the areas available.

Additional comments from Barb Schreiner, diabetes nurse specialist:

We have had success getting children to try their abdomens in a couple ways:
  1. cut a foam ball in half. Hold the ball on the abdomen and let the child practice injecting into the ball. This gives the child the chance to simulate how to give a "tummy shot". When giving injections in the abdomen, be sure to find a "pinch of skin" -- sometimes on the side of the abdomen.
  2. Summer camp is a great place for kids to try new injection sites. We have "arm day," "leg day", "abdomen day", etc.
  3. Moms and dads could "demo" an abdomen injection on themselves. Take a sterile syringe -- don't put anything into it. Clean the skin, give the injection by putting the needle in the skin and removing it.