Question:

From Houston, Texas, USA:

I am 62 years old, have had type 2 diabetes for approximately six years, and initially, my diet was terrible when the doctor initially put me on diabetes medicine. I now believe that is was the doctor's mistake because I do not have any of the diabetes side effects such as needing to eat at a certain time, etc. I started an exercise program, stopped taking my medicine, and my fasting blood sugar runs 130-180 mg/dl [7.2-10 mmol/L], while they run 100-140 mg/dl [5.6-7.8 mmol/L] at other times.

Why is my fasting blood sugar higher? What kind of risk may I encounter with damage to internal organs if I continue to exist with these sugar levels? Do you believe I can eliminate my problems with exercise (walking four miles per day) and no medication?

Answer:

High blood sugar over time will increase your risk of serious complications. You need to get your fasting blood sugar down below 120 mg/dl [6.7 mmol/L] as soon as possible.

It doesn't look like diet and exercise alone are doing it for you. Ask your doctor if you might be able to take metformin which works very well for lowering elevated fasting blood sugars.

JS

[Editor's comment: High blood sugar levels in the morning is a very common phenomenon in type 2 diabetes. WWQ]

Posted to Daily Care and Type 2