From Hobart, Indiana, USA:

Two days ago, the doctor told me that I had diabetes. He did not say what type, but I am assuming type 2 diabetes since I am overweight and just turned 50 years old. Since he did not put me on any type of medication, I assumed that he wanted me to go on a diet which is just common sense. However, when I asked his nurse for a diet sheet for diabetes, she gave me a sheet that gives me a choice of 1200, 1500, or 1800 calories.

My concern is that everything I read states that not only should you diet but exercise also. However, I had back surgery, and since then I cannot stand, walk or exercise, and I am on disability. Will the diet alone still bring down my sugar levels? I weigh 345 pounds, and I am hoping that with any of those calorie levels I will lose weight and bring down my sugar level. Since I am since inactive, should I make my caloric intake less than the 1200? Should I just experiment with it? Is a 500 calorie diet too strict?

Yes, 500 calories are too strict. I would recommend you find a recognized diabetes education center that will allow you to discuss your diet choices, goals, and allow for follow-up. Just giving patients a piece of paper is no guarantee that things will be interpreted appropriately and that will impact results. In addition, you need to see an exercise physiologist or physical therapist which will allow you to select exercises that will not hurt your back but could provide you with some exercise.

It sounds like too many things were left up in the air. Depending on results of your testing, some physicians would recommend a medication at the time of diagnosis.

Posted to Daily Care and Type 2