Question:

From Pelahatchie, Mississippi, USA:

My son's 19 year old girlfriend takes insulin, and since I'm not educated about this illness, I am very concerned about her drinking alcohol. I realize she shouldn't be drinking because of her age, but I know she is, and I'm very concerned about her health. I would like information about the danger in writing so I can give it to my son and maybe stop this before she hurts herself.

Answer:

I understand your concern about the alcohol, especially with how it can interfere with blood sugar control. The American Diabetes Association states that alcohol can be worked into a diabetes meal plan in moderation and recommends no more than 1 drink per day for women and 2 drinks per day for men. A drink is considered 12 ounces of beer, 4 ounces of wine, or 1.5 ounces of hard liquor. The ADA recommends consuming food with alcohol and monitoring blood sugars pre and post alcohol consumption.

She should speak with her physician about alcohol consumption for any possible side effects or contraindications.

JMS

Posted to Other Social Issues