From Seminole, Florida, USA:

My seven year old daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes five months ago, and while we limit snacks (four to five per day), we don't really monitor meals. Our doctor says that at this stage it is not really necessary, but I was interested in a second opinion in this matter. All this is so new to us, we have no family history of diabetes, and I sometimes feel I am struggling for the right answers. Is there a limit of the number of carbohydrates per day that I should allow my child?

I would recommend that you meet with a registered dietitian who specializes in diabetes meal planning. He/she can formulate a meal plan that will give your daughter the proper caloric needs during this growing time but provide optimal blood sugar control. Meal plans are individualized nowadays and take into account a wealth of factors (food preferences, meal times, activity, etc.)

I would recommend that you focus more on the carbohydrate content on food labels than the sugar content since the sugar content on labels is included in the carb information. Ask your physician for a referral to an RD if needed.