Question:

From India -- on visit to Union City, California, USA:

My blood sugar levels are either too high or too low, and recently, they are becoming too low in the morning, but if I reduce my insulin, they are too high. What approach should I adopt so that my blood sugar levels are controlled when I take less insulin?

Answer:

I have the feeling that for the time being you do not and perhaps never have had access to a diabetes team that includes a nurse educator, a dietitian, and a medical social worker as well as a doctor to help you with blood sugar control. Without knowing a lot more about what dose and kinds of insulin you are using, how much you have explored the effects of exercise, of stress and appetite on blood sugars, it is difficult to give much help within the limits of e-mail.

I have two suggestions: The first is that you start reading more about the care diabetes. Secondly, before you return to India, you should talk to the endocrinologist about the possibility of using a a basal/bolus program with Humalog and Lantus for control, making sure that it would be possible to continue this back home.