Question:

From Bradford, Tennessee, USA:

My three year old grandson was diagnosed with type 1 Two weeks ago, my three year old grandson, was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes six months ago and treted with NPH and Regular, developed a rash on face and upper arms. His pediatric endocrinologist said it was an allergic reaction to something he consumed, so we removed peanut butter from the diet and applied the cream prescribed, but the rash has worsened. I'm wondering if it could be hormonal or a reaction to insulin rather than something he is eating. Any information you can provide would be helpful.

Answer:

Allergies to insulin used to be much more common than now. Current insulin is extremely pure, but any medication, including insulin, can cause allergic reactions. You should stay in close contact with your diabetes team since they can help sort out other possibilities and also the possibility of insulin being the allergen/culprit.