Question:

From Cisne, Illinois, USA:

My three year old son is suddenly (starting about a week ago) urinating often (four to six times in a three hour time frame), he is drinking a large amount of fluids, and his appetite is unreal; I can't seem to fill him up. I am concerned because there is a family history of diabetes. Should I be concerned? Should I wait to see if there are any changes in his urinating, eating, and drinking? He has a doctors appointment In about three weeks. Should I mention my concerns then to the doctor? Should I make an earlier appointment?

Answer:

You should take your son to see his doctor very soon. The likelihood is that this is not diabetes, but it is not worth taking the risk.

[Editor's comment: Note: If he has vomiting or nausea and can't take fluids for any reason, it's a medical emergency and he should be taken to an emergency room for evaluation at any time of the day or night! WWQ]