Question:

From Santa Cruz, California, USA:

I have read about the new sweetener called Tagatose. The information I read discusses type 2 diabetes so it is unclear how this new sweetener will affect blood glucose levels in a someone with type 1 diabetes, like myself. Do you have any information on this?

Answer:

Tagatose is a newly approved sweetener that has the same bulk as sucrose but does not affect blood glucose levels. It is metabolically neutral so its effect would be no different in type 1 than in type 2 diabetes though it would be of no special benefit in the former.

Additional comments from David Mendosa, A Writer on the Web:

Please note my Tagatose article.

DM