Question:

From Grand Forks, North Dakota, USA:

I am a science teacher who has student with diabetes, and about three times per week, he will bring multiple food items to class and eat them throughout the period. It can be a distraction to other students and to himself throughout the period. I have confronted him about the amount of food and asked him lower it to maybe a drink or a solid. Is this too much to ask? Should he be allowed to eat as much as he would like?

Answer:

According to Federal laws, students with diabetes are allowed to bring snacks to school to assist with maintaining optimal blood sugar control. Hopefully his snacks are not too disruptive in class. Perhaps he can eat them before class or maybe he can talk with his physician about adjusting insulin to be able to eliminate the snack. Hopefully, a compromise can be worked out for both your class and the student

JMS

[Editor's comment: See The Law, Schools, and Your Child with Diabetes. SS]