From Opelika, Alabama, USA:

I would like to find someone who can help me with meal planning or where I can obtain meal plans that are already made up. I am willing to pay someone for this information, if needed, but I would prefer something that is free since I am on a limited budget.

I would recommend that you ask your physician for a referral to a registered dietitian who specializes in diabetes meal planning. He/she can work with you in developing an individualized meal plan that will provide you adequate calories and help you obtain optimal blood sugar control. Meal planning is one of the keys in obtaining control of your diabetes.

There are a few websites sponsored by pharmaceutical companies that provide some initial nutrition information, but I would stress that you follow up with a registered dietitian also.

[Editor's comment: You can also call 1-800-TEAM UP 4 (the AADE referral phone center) to help find a nearby diabetes dietitian. WWQ]