Question:

From Warren, Ohio, USA:

I'm 5 feet 11 inches tall, weigh 220 pounds, lead a semi-active life, and I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism, gallbladder disease, and non-alcoholic steatohepatitis about three years ago. During a recent physical examination, my urine dipstick was positive for glucose, and a blood glucose reading taken to confirm the urine test was 186 mg/dl [10.3 mmol/L]. My doctor drew blood for a hemoglobin A1c and is concerned but not in a hurry. I am very anxious about the results because I have a family history of diabetes on both sides. How concerned should I be?

Answer:

Individuals who are recently diagnosed with type 2 diabetes have probably had some evidence of diabetes (although undetectable by usual clinical means) for up to six years. In the big picture, this is not an emergency. However, you would like to get going with interventions that will help bring your blood sugar down.

Within a few days you can have lab work, home blood sugars obtained and know whether you need medication started. Be sure to insist on diabetes education from qualified diabetes educators so that you can learn as much as possible to help you from the start. Having diabetes should be a concern to you, but there are things you can do to make yourself healthier.