Question:

From Saline, Michigan, USA:

My son who has autism had behavior issues that we struggled with but since his diagnosis with type 1 diabetes about eight months ago, his behaviors have escalated and become more violent in nature. How does diabetes affect a person with autism? We know it's different but do not know how to better understand it in order to help him.

Answer:

My best guess and answer is they are two different diseases. I would expect that any chronic condition would affect autism, but you have to intervene and really invade personal space with diabetes. I would expect some confrontations about it. Likewise, changes in glucose affect all children. I might imagine more radical swings in behaviour caused by low glucoses. I know of no science to support such however. You have a big job managing two very difficult diseases. I wish you the best.

Posted to Behavior