From Saline, Michigan, USA:

My son who has autism had behavior issues that we struggled with but since his diagnosis with type 1 diabetes about eight months ago, his behaviors have escalated and become more violent in nature. How does diabetes affect a person with autism? We know it's different but do not know how to better understand it in order to help him.

My best guess and answer is they are two different diseases. I would expect that any chronic condition would affect autism, but you have to intervene and really invade personal space with diabetes. I would expect some confrontations about it. Likewise, changes in glucose affect all children. I might imagine more radical swings in behaviour caused by low glucoses. I know of no science to support such however. You have a big job managing two very difficult diseases. I wish you the best.

Posted to Behavior