Question:

From Atlanta, Georgia, USA:

My daughter and I would like to raise money to begin a summer camp for children with type 1 diabetes in our area and also have Holiday Eating Awareness Days (HEAD), because so much of the emphasis that is placed on holidays such as Christmas and Thanksgiving, and also with days like Halloween when most kids like to eat candy food and new recipes are extremely important. I need help in finding federal and/or state funding to do these things. Please help if you can.

Answer:

I suggest that you contact the Diabetes Camping Association. They provide all kinds of assistance to people who run camps for kids with diabetes. Their contact information is:

Diabetes Camping Association
Zula Walters
PO Box 385
Huntsville, AL 35804

Phone: (256) 883-2556
E-mail: DCAZula@juno.com
Web: www.diabetescamps.org

JSH

[Editor's comment: I'd also contact your local American Diabetes Association and Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation affiliates to see if they might be interested in being sponsors or in assisting you. SS]