From Irving, Texas USA:

My uncle says he wants me to start my daughter (who has had type 1 diabetes for three years) on this stuff called coral calcium that is supposed to cure chronic illnesses. He says if she were to start taking it, she would be cured. What exactly is coral calcium? Is this true?

I do not know what "coral calcium" is but imagine it is simply a calcium salt, likely derived from coral and would probably be calcium carbonate.

There is no cure for type 1 diabetes, I am sorry to say. Please do not stop giving your precious little one insulin as lack of insulin can lead to fatal DKA [diabetic ketoacidosis].

As an aside and an editorial, I do not for the life of me understand how and why people seem to disbelieve their pediatricians and endocrinologists about treatment/cure for diabetes. If we had a cure, we would use it! But apparently there are a lot of conspiracy theorists out there.

[Editor's comment: Also, see Herbs and other Supplements, at the Diabetes Monitor. WWQ]

[Editor's comment: See Be Wary of Coral Calcium from QuackWatch. JSH]

Posted to Alternative Therapies and Explanations