Question:

From La Canada, California, USA:

My daughter began using an insulin pump about four months ago, and twice since she began she has wanted to go back to Lantus and Novolog because she feels uncomfortable with being connected all the time. I have let her do so for two weeks and then go back to using the pump. I do this because I want her to feel comfortable with whatever method we're using to control her blood sugars. I have checked with her doctor who prefers that she stay with the pump, but did not comment further. Is there any harm in changing back and forth from the pump to multiple injections every so often?

Answer:

The goal for diabetes care is to take care of blood sugars. If switching back and forth from Lantus with NovoLog to the insulin pump works, then no problem. We find that it often takes a one-two week period to readjust from one to the other system, so you may find lots of days of poor control during so many transitions.You should review this in some detail with your child's physicians since they would know more specifically how this is working.

Another alternative may be to use the pump from dinner and overnight and through breakfast with some bolus coverage for lunch and afternoon snacking during the rest of the day. This may work lots better, not have your child use the pump with peers but still get a good deal of the benefits of overnight basal insulin finesse.

Posted to Insulin Pumps