Question:

From Brooklyn, New York, USA:

I am 54 years old and have had type 2 diabetes for a little over two years. I take 6-10 units of Lantus along with 5 mg. of Glucotrol XL. How will my doctor know if I have reached the stage when I need to take Humalog or NovoLog?

Answer:

The use of Humalog or NovoLog insulin will become more of an option if your blood sugars remain elevated and are specifically elevated after meals. I would also caution you that Lantus should not be used on a variable dose schedule, and it sounds like you are varying the dose. This is not a good idea with this long-acting insulin. It will not help and may serve to prevent you from having a more stable blood sugar pattern.