From Brooklyn, New York, USA:

I am 54 years old and have had type 2 diabetes for a little over two years. I take 6-10 units of Lantus along with 5 mg. of Glucotrol XL. How will my doctor know if I have reached the stage when I need to take Humalog or NovoLog?

The use of Humalog or NovoLog insulin will become more of an option if your blood sugars remain elevated and are specifically elevated after meals. I would also caution you that Lantus should not be used on a variable dose schedule, and it sounds like you are varying the dose. This is not a good idea with this long-acting insulin. It will not help and may serve to prevent you from having a more stable blood sugar pattern.