From Woodbridge, New Jersey, USA:

My son, diagnosed with type 1 diabetes one and a half years ago, is in acceptable control (A1c 7%) using an insulin pump, and he is very good about taking care of himself. However, but like many teens, he's not always so quick to share information. I am assuming his honeymoon period is over. How how do I know for sure?

The timing of the end of the honeymoon phase can be difficult to measure. Typically, one sees a dramatic increase in the amount of insulin that is needed to achieve reliably normal blood sugars. The end of the honeymoon doesn't really prompt a change in the care of diabetes, but simply begins a period in which diabetes is a bit more difficult to control, and the amount of insulin increases.

Posted to Honeymoon