From a physician in England:

I have an 82 year old female patient who no longer wishes to take the diuretic bendrofluazide and and wishes to take L-taurine. She is an advocate of the Atkins diet, and her glucose levels are very good. However, I have no experience using this substance and have no idea of what dosage would be a match for the bendrofluazide. Your advice would be greatly welcomed.

I am not an advocate of high protein diets for patients with diabetes because they induce hyperfiltration within the kidney and may serve to speed up diabetes-related changes in the kidney. I would be skeptical of data using L-taurine as a nutritional supplement or diuretic.

Posted to Alternative Therapies and Explanations