Question:

From Hungary:

I am 23 years old, and have had diabetes for nine years, and since I started college and left my clinic, I have lost control of my diabetes. (I will visit a new clinic in 20 days.) Somehow, whatever I do, the mornings are high, or I have low sugar at night.

In order to identify the exact problem I have at night, I would like to perform an "experiment" in which, every night, all the factors, besides the tested factor will be the same. The problem is, that every night the "factors" vary. Sometimes I eat many carbs before the night, sometimes I don't, and sometimes I have high sugar before the night, sometimes I have low sugar. How do I simulate the same exact factors every night?

Answer:

The factors to control for include insulin, diet, activity, and schedule. More needs to be known regarding your insulin schedule. This may hold the key to how to prevent the morning rise in your blood sugars. Since activity, diet, and schedule are not all that different when you are sleeping, my best guess is the insulin type/dose may have to be changed to help.