Question:

From Nashville, Tennessee, USA:

I take my Lantus at 8:00 pm, and I've noticed that even though my blood sugar is normal at that time, when I test again at 12 midnight it's almost 300 mg/dl [16.7 mmol/L]. I do take some Humalog to bring it down. Shouldn't my blood sugar be lower four hours after taking my Lantus? I'm very confused by this! Can you shed some light?

Answer:

It's likely your evening Lantus is wearing off and/or you need some Humalog to cover the bedtime snack. Many of our patients can stop their bedtime snack and solve such problems.

If you want to continue your bedtime snack, a small amount of NPH at suppertime may also help compensate this pattern. Alternatively, take Humalog separately from your bedtime Lantus which will also stop the post-snack hyperglycemia.