From Nashville, Tennessee, USA:

I take my Lantus at 8:00 pm, and I've noticed that even though my blood sugar is normal at that time, when I test again at 12 midnight it's almost 300 mg/dl [16.7 mmol/L]. I do take some Humalog to bring it down. Shouldn't my blood sugar be lower four hours after taking my Lantus? I'm very confused by this! Can you shed some light?

It's likely your evening Lantus is wearing off and/or you need some Humalog to cover the bedtime snack. Many of our patients can stop their bedtime snack and solve such problems.

If you want to continue your bedtime snack, a small amount of NPH at suppertime may also help compensate this pattern. Alternatively, take Humalog separately from your bedtime Lantus which will also stop the post-snack hyperglycemia.