Question:

From San Antonio, Texas, USA:

I need to start my husband on a diet to help get is sugar level into a more normal range. I need a diet that tells me what he should be eating at each meal and for snacks and what foods he should avoid. Help!

Answer:

I would suggest you and your husband see a diabetes dietitian who can develop an individualized meal plan for him. Meal plans nowadays are more individualized in order to increase adherence and normalize blood sugars. If your husband needs to lose some weight, you will see that the weight loss will reduce the insulin resistance associated with type 2 diabetes and improve blood sugars. Ask your physician for a referral to a diabetes dietitian if necessary.

JMS