Question:

From Ortonville, Michigan, USA:

About a week ago my friend's 17 month old grandson become dehydrated and was hospitalized with what the parents thought was the flu, but he was in DKA [diabetic ketoacidosis] and was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. He was very ill, and everyone in the family is worried. Is there any positive, hopeful or helpful information you can give?

Answer:

There have been very considerable advances in the management of diabetes in young children in the last few years. This is not to say that caring for them is not considerably demanding, but there can now be an expectation of a life that is almost normal.

Your friend's grandson is, I am sure, enrolled with his parents in an education program run by his diabetes care team, and they have access to a dietitian and a medical social worker as well as the doctor and the nurse educator. Your friend might want to learn more about diabetes too by reading one of a number of books about caring for these children.

[Editor's comment: I suggest that you have this child's parents visit our Chat Rooms. There are always lots of parents there to chat with who have been through this and can be of great help.

In addition, Sweet Kids: How to Balance Diabetes Control & Good Nutrition with Family Peace by Betty Brackenridge and Richard Rubin a great reference for managing a toddler with diabetes. SS]