From Abingdon, Maryland, USA:

I have had type 2 diabetes for about 10 years, and after diet, exercise and oral medication didn't control my blood sugars any longer, I was started on insulin and metformin about two years ago. Since I started insulin, I have put on an extra 15 pounds.

I am 5 feet 6 inches tall, weigh 170 pounds, and I eat approximately 1500 calories per day. I exercise between 30 and 45 minutes per day (power walking) plus light weight training twice a week. I take Lantus in the morning and at bedtime, along with Humalog according to carb counting at meals. My last hemoglobin A1c was 7.2 %. My fasting sugars always run 140-200 mg/dl [7.8-11.1 mmol/L] but are good during the day. I am very unhappy with my weight, I don't know what else to do, and I would be thankful for your advice.

I am sorry you are having so much trouble controlling your diabetes. I am also surprised that your fasting blood sugar remains so high despite taking Lantus twice per day.

I highly recommend you see a Certified Diabetes Educator to review your meal planning and help you to follow a plan that combines both carbohydrate counting and weight loss principles.

Posted to Weight and Weight Loss