From St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada

My five year old son has had type 1 diabetes for seven months. I researched pumps and was very encouraged about them. However, when I approached his pediatrician (who wears a pump), he said he felt my son was too young and that my son has great control with multiple injections, so why change it. At a parents of children with diabetes meeting, most of the kids had them, and three were as young as my son. What age is a good age to start pumping? Should I push the issue?

If your small son's hemoglobin A1c test is below or near to 8% I would agree with his pediatrician. Insulin pumps, as you know, have been used successfully in younger children, but this is often motivated by parents who welcome the extra responsibility for meticulous control.

Posted to Insulin Pumps