Question:

From Stoughton, Wisconsin, USA:

My 54 year old husband, who has had type 2 diabetes treated with pills for less than five years, has had no sexual drive for the last two to three years. His physician says there is nothing that can be done, and that it is just part of having diabetes. However, I have been reading articles about testosterone therapy. I have read some articles that say this kind of therapy helps people with diabetes while other articles say you do not have low levels of testosterone because of diabetes/medications. My husband's physician has never offered do to a testosterone test. Should we insist on one? What kind of specialist should we see?

Answer:

Male sexual function can be a problem when low testosterone is present and when the machinery does not work to result in an erection. Low testosterone levels are very commonly associated with decreased sex drive but not always with decreased ability to have an erection. With diabetes, the nerves do not work well to open the channels that allow blood in to the penis that cause the erection. However, with new medications, such as Viagra, this can be treated.

Your husband needs to have more information collected so as to know why he has no sex drive. He probably should have a testosterone level checked, as well as an examination of his overall medical condition. There are a variety of physicians who can comment on this, including internists, endocrinologists, and urologists. You may have to seek their opinion if you get no help from your current physician. It is important to be your own advocates when dealing with the healthcare system.