Question:

From Atlanta, Georgia, USA:

Our 12 year old son, diagnosed two and a half years ago, has been on an insulin pump for a year and a half, and last summer (and already this year), we have had trouble with infusion sets falling off. This year, more alarming, the catheter has worked itself out and bent at a 90 degree angle without any external evidence that the tape had loosened; an unexpected fasting blood sugar of over 400 mg/dl [22.2 mmol/L] was the only clue which has happened three times. I've spoken to manufacturers about it, and they're perplexed. I am a family physician, my wife is a dietitian and diabetes educator, and we work closely with our son's endocrinologist to manage his issues. I use a self devised taping system since he has severe contact dermatitis with all adhesive aids.

Answer:

It sounds like the tape is just not sticking or there are some problem with how the catheters are being introduced. Sometimes it helps to try different brands and styles of catheters, of course, to see if one or another works better with less kinking. Also, using other sites besides the belly (inner thighs or upper buttocks) sometimes will also work, in my experience.

DTQ-20030528233123A
Posted to Insulin Pumps