From Beatrice, Nebraska, USA:

I have seen my doctor three times since my diagnosis of diabetes three weeks ago, and he has never checked my feet even though I complain about them burning and feeling hot and cold. Shouldn't a doctor routinely check feet when someone has diabetes?

The answer to your question is yes. Patients should have their feet examined routinely. In our clinic, we have a sign that requests all patients with diabetes to remove their shoes and socks. This makes it difficult for the care providers to overlook the foot exam. I would suggest all patients with diabetes do this in order to have appropriate follow-up foot exams.