Lincoln Park, Michigan, USA:

I have type 1 diabetes, and I am on an insulin pump. My current BMI is 48 percent, which I know this is far from acceptable but, while this is the highest it's ever been, I've always been obese. I've read several times that you don't recommend a high protein diet for diabetics, and I also see you've mentioned surgery as a last resort for weight loss. However, as far as I know, after a gastric bypass, the diet that is followed is low carb, high protein and veggies.

Please trust me when I tell you I've tried all the other options, from self imposed restriction, purging, weight watchers, and Fen-Phen, only to lose a pound or two and gain fifteen or more in the end. I'm out of options, I just know I can't live with my physical self anymore, and I am really hoping this is a safe "last attempt" for me. I'm considering the surgery for multiple reasons: vanity, better physical health, emotional well being, and better control of my diabetes.

How much, if any, research has been done on gastric bypass in people with type 1 diabetes? What are its long term effects and benefits?

Gastric bypass is being done regularly at many institutions with good results. I would consider a physician with a lot of experience. There have been several studies in which type 2 diabetes improves, but you are referring to type 1 diabetes. There is less known about this because type 1 diabetes still requires insulin replacement and is not directly related to obesity or weight gain. Marked weight loss will decrease your insulin requirements, but it will not allow you to go off insulin if you have type 1 diabetes.

Posted to Weight and Weight Loss