Question:

From Deer Park, Texas, USA:

Recently, I was diagnosed with renal insufficiency, and I have been having debilitating fatigue, headaches, and back-ache in the kidney area. The doctor is looking for diabetes and high blood pressure and says I could have either or both. How does this connect with diabetes? I just need some information before I talk to him.

Answer:

I am sorry but you do not provide me any additional information to determine the connection between your symptoms and your diagnosis. Renal insufficiency can be seen with both hypertension and diabetes. It usually takes years of one or both to cause renal insufficiency. Why has it taken so long to know whether you have diabetes or hypertension? Those diagnoses should be easily recognized. The symptoms you are having over your kidneys could include symptoms related to infection or obstruction to flow (as seen with a kidney stone or enlarged prostate). Fatigue and headache can be seen with high blood pressure, too.