Lafayette, New York, USA:

I am 23 years old, I am not overweight, my diet and exercise plans are good, and I was just diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. However, my doctor put me on Avandia and Glucotrol which I thought were for type 2 diabetes. Why would he give these to me?

I agree with you. If you have type 1 diabetes, you need to be on insulin. The fact that you are on oral hypoglycemic agents suggests you are being treated for type 2 diabetes. You need to discuss this with your physician. If you get no clear answer, you may have to get another opinion. I support patients being advocates for their health.

Posted to Pills for Diabetes