From North Chili, New York, USA:

If I do not eat a snack containing about 30 grams of carb before going to bed, my blood sugar is always higher when I get up, but I would prefer not to have to eat any snacks at bedtime. Why is this happening?

I am not sure why it is happening. By taking the snack, do you suppose you are preventing the lows? In order to trouble shoot this problem, I would suggest you regularly check the bedtime sugar and a sugar at 3:00 am. Without this information, I am afraid you will not know what is going on.