From New York, USA:

I use alternate site testing, and I hate using my fingers because it hurts. Is it really necessary to test the fingers when you think you're low?

From New York, USYes it is! Because samples taken from the fingers reflect blood glucose more quickly than alternate sites, it is important to use them if you suspect levels may be changing quickly or if you think you are low. See Alternate Site Testing.

While fingerstick tests are more uncomfortable for the vast majority, they should not be extremely painful. You might be poking too hard or using large lancets. I suggest you experiment to find a more comfortable method so you can use your fingers if you need to.