From Beaumont, Texas, USA:

We have a strong family history of type 1 diabetes on both sides, and, in the last two months, my six and a half year old son has lost weight, has headaches, increased thirst, more frequent urination, and he complains of hands and feet being cold. We took my son to his pediatrician, where he had a meter blood sugar of 151 mg/dl [9.4 mmol/L] about two hours after a light snack. Two days later, he had a t 13 hours fasting which was only 92 mg/dl [5.1 mmol/L].

. Given the family history and symptoms, my pediatrician still wanted my son to be seen by an endocrinologist, but the local specialist refused to see us. Fortunately, we live close to a well respected pediatric endocrinologist who can see us in a week. (His nurse listened to the family history and the blood test results and agreed that we should come in for consultation.)

Does this sound like prediabetes or something else? Given the strong family history on both sides, we are a little paranoid about diabetes symptoms. What might we expect from the consultation?

I agree that your son needs to see a pediatric endocrinologist if your pediatrician is unfamiliar with treating kids with diabetes. For more information, see Classification and Diagnosis of Diabetes guidelines.