Question:

From Fremont, Nebraska, USA:

My 10 year old daughter, diagnosed with type 1 diabetes about three months ago, is on NovoLog before meals with Lantus at bedtime. Since starting her injections, she has steadily gained weight, and her tummy and face seem especially bloated. I have begun buying her women's shirts since that is the only size that will cover her tummy. Could this be a side effect of the insulin or the diabetes in general? Should I have her examined for something else? Is this just a part of growing up?

Answer:

Although she is not on a big dose of insulin for her weight, sometimes after the initial diagnosis, insulin requirements go down dramatically (the honeymoon or remission phase). I usually pay close attention to the scale at this point as often you will see the child gain weight excessively if the insulin dose isn't lowered.

If her blood sugars are well controlled, speak to her doctor about trying to slowly lower her dose to the lowest dose that maintains good control. You may see that her appetite also decreases and she doesn't want as much food as she wants now. Keep in mind, that often insulin requirements then go back up quickly with little warning as puberty progresses and the remission wears off.

Posted to Insulin and Weight and Weight Loss