Question:

From South Africa:

My male friend takes high doses of insulin daily, manages his diet well, is a farmer who has reasonably high stress levels (not extreme), and has a problem with maintaining a reasonable blood-sugar level. I believe it should read at a level of 4-5 mmol/L [72-90 mg/dl], but it constantly jumps to a level of 8 mmol/L [144 mg/dl].

Answer:

Your friend is very lucky to have a concerned friend like you. You have to look at the blood sugars before meals (should be less than 120 mg/dl [6.7 mmol/L]), after meals (should be less than 140 mg/dl [7.8 mmol/L] two hours after you start eating) and the hemoglobin A1c (should be less than 6.5%). If your friend is not achieving these goals and his family practice physician cannot help him get there, then he should see a diabetes specialist. Having high blood sugar over time greatly increases the risk of serious complications.

JS