From London, England:

My family and I are going on holiday to South India with our seven year old son who has had type 1 diabetes since he was four. He is taking insulin twice a day morning and evening, and it is the first holiday since being diagnosed with diabetes. Would you please be good enough to give me some do's and don'ts for this holiday?

1. Do take plenty of supplies including spare pens and a cool bag to keep things in.
  2. Do take a customs letter explaining the need for needles in your hand baggage
  3. Do discuss insulin doses for the flights with your diabetes team
  4. Do expect to reduce insulin doses (by around 20%) on account of the heat and activity
  5. Do take spare food on the journey in case there are delays with meals
  6. Do not put insulin in the hold of the aircraft
  7. Do not expect to be able to obtain anything easily in India, but this will depend upon where you travel.

Posted to Traveling