Question:

From Iloilo City, Philippines:

My grandmother, who has had diabetes for almost a year, is on oral medications. How much should her blood sugar levels decrease?

Answer:

I would suggest that your grandmother talk with her physician. A usual blood sugar is less than 120 mg/dl [6.7 mmol/L] before breakfast in the morning. However, the use of medication to lower blood sugar may vary depending upon how high her sugar is, other medical problems, and the risk of other side effects. I often tell my patients that they should try to have a blood sugar 70-140 mg/dl [3.9-7.8 mmol/L] before meals and at bedtime. This will get her close to a desired level of good control. The overall level of control should be verified by a test called a hemoglobin A1c performed quarterly.

Posted to Daily Care and Type 2