From Hamilton, Ontario, Canada:

I am an 18 year old female with type 1 diabetes. I have been unsuccessful in losing weight, and I have begun abusing laxatives in an attempt to control it. I cover my food intake with Humalog as I normally have in the past and do not notice a significant change in my blood glucose control. One of my primary worries concerns my use of the birth control pill. Although I know you can not endorse this behaviour the last thing I need is a pregnancy and would like advice on how to balance my use of the pill and the abuse of the laxatives because I am not prepared at this time to discontinue either. Should my use of laxatives decrease my insulin needs? I would essentially like advice on how to address this issue with my doctors.

Laxative abuse is dangerous and also doesn't work for weight control since it is only mostly water that is being lost and not excess body fat. However, it has nothing at all to do with diabetes. Salt and water imbalance can be severe, and you could die.

I would suggest that you stop the laxative abuse and honestly talk with your own physicians, perhaps also a therapist about why you would consider something so dangerous.

Posted to Behavior and Other Medications