From Gerrardstown, West Virginia, USA:

I have been a regular user of marijuana for over 20 years. I am also an avid bourbon drinker, and recently, I have been monitoring my blood sugar levels with a machine a friend loaned me. I have noticed that some research has found that medicinal marijuana is beneficial in cases of glaucoma as well as for conditions arising from certain chemical treatments for cancer. Is there a possibility that the marijuana usage has "controlled" my glucose levels from the bourbon?

I used to consume several liters of bourbon per week prior to my marriage, but my wife and I want me healthier, and I am trying to find out information to assist me with this.

I cannot seem to find a physician who is available when I'm off work. My days start at 4:30 am. and I get home about 7 pm. Any information would be of great assistance.

I don't think there are any good data that say that marijuana use helps with blood sugar control. We know that alcohol can have the effect to initially raise blood sugars within an hour or so of ingestion. However, it can later cause a low sugar when it decreases glucose output by the liver.

Posted to Other Social Issues