From Lake Geneva, Wisconsin, USA:

My boyfriend, diagnosed with type 2 diabetes two months ago, has been taking Prandin and has modified his diet with success. He also has allergies and takes Zyrtec, and I am wondering if these medications can be safely taken together. He has asthma, and sometimes uses an inhaler, but I don't know what medication that is. He has said that his asthma has improved since he has changed his diet. Is there a reason for that? Can he use the asthma inhaler and take Zyrtec and Prandin?.

I used a computer program to search for potential known drug interactions between the Prandin (repaglinide) and the Zyrtec, and no interactions were found. However, I cannot comment about the inhaler that you cannot identify. Some inhalers that have medications related to epinephrine (albuterol, salmeterol and others) can lead to a mild increase in blood sugar. Other inhalers contain steroids which can lead to somewhat higher glucose levels too.

Since allergies/asthma are multifactorial (meaning that multiple factors contribute) and have many "triggers", I suppose it does not surprise me that with a change in dietary habits one might find an improvement in asthma symptoms. This suggests that something he previously ate more of was an irritant for his asthma.

Posted to Pills for Diabetes