From Garden City, Michigan, USA:

I am a active 17 year old girl on an insulin pump, and I am currently 50 pounds overweight. My doctor keeps nagging me to lose weight and wants me to lose 10 pounds per month. I am currently restricting my diet to 1200 calories (and sometimes to 1000 calories), but I never lose weight even with strenuous exercise daily. I am looking for a second opinion on how to lose weight.

How much insulin do you use? If it is a lot with the insulin pump, you may have insulin resistance in addition to type 1 diabetes.

Are your periods regular? Do you have any excess hair? If so, you may have Polycystic Ovary Syndrome. These conditions require specific treatment -- likely metformin. Explore this possibility and lastly be sure of the calories.

[Editor's comment: I would suggest going to a weight loss program such as WeightWatchers so that you have support and your progress can be monitored. SS]

[Editor's comment: It's not clear if you've had the opportunity to talk to a diabetes dietitian about your situation. If not, ask for a referral. WWQ]

Posted to Weight and Weight Loss