Question:

From Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA:

I was told I have borderline diabetes, but the doctor never went into detail what that means. What are some side effects of that? I suffer from severe migraines, and someone told me that my diabetes had something to do with that. Is that possible?

Answer:

I expect you may have what we would call prediabetes today. In such a situation, your blood sugar is higher than normal but not high enough to call it diabetes. See Classification and Diagnosis of Diabetes Guidelines. Prediabetes is thought to increase the risk of heart disease so it is important to try to diet and exercise. I don't think the migraines are important here, as far as diabetes is concerned.

[Editor's comment: See Diabetes Prevention Program (DPP) for more information about prevention of type 2 diabetes. SS]