Question:

From Sacramento, California, USA:

My 10 year old son, who has had diabetes for six years and is in fair control, has broken his arm five times in the last four years. He is not abnormally active or clumsy, and I have six other children who all play hard and have fun, but they do not break their bones. I have talked to another mom with the same experience, but my son's endocrinologist and his orthopedist say there is no link whatsoever. What is your experience?

Answer:

There are several possible causes for this. I am not sure if this is osteoporosis due to undetected celiac disease which is often associated with type 1 diabetes, although it certainly could be. Reduced absorption of calcium due to celiac disease can cause these symptoms. Screening for celiac disease is highly recommended in your son's case.