From Greensboro, North Carolina, USA:

My 20 month old son is very sensitive to insulin, and for that and many other reasons his endocrinologist has suggested putting on pump therapy. Being a toddler, he is is very active, and I am not sure if he is going to accept this or not? The doctor is recommending a brand of pump, but I am not sure if that is the best choice for him. Which pump brand is the best for a kid his age? What or which manufacturer would you recommend? Why?

All of the different insulin pumps have advantages and disadvantages for children this age. Some have a "child block" feature and many offer basal rates that vary by increments less than 0.1 unit/hour. Some are more water-proof than others. They all have different menu options. I'd look at the features of all the pumps and then decide. The choice is really an individual one.

[Editor's comment: First of all, I suggest you visit the websites of the various pump manufacturers and look at all of them (Note: currently, Disetronic pumps are not being distributed in the US.) You may also wish to contact your local representative for demonstrations of the actual pumps.

Secondly, you need to check with your insurance provider. Some insurers will only pay for certain brands of pumps.

Thirdly, you might with to visit the Chat Rooms at this website and discuss this with parents of other toddlers who are pumping. SS]

Posted to Insulin Pumps